Sunday 7 February 2010

And the young man watched the snow through the window.

Lison took Eibhlin and I cross country skiing today. We managed six kilometres in the time it took her to do 14... This was mostly because of all the time I spent sitting/lying in the snow and not actually skiing. Eibhlin probably could've managed ten in that time but thankfully she stopped periodically and waited for me to catch up.

Going very slowly or "shuffling" isn't too hard until you get to a downhill but every time I got up a bit of speed - even on flat bits - I lost my balance. Although from the start where I had fear and dreaded the downhills by the end I loved them even if I knew I was more likely to end up on my bum than my feet.  Oddly, I fell quite a bit at the start then got into it a bit, then got more into it and fell over even more.

This winter I have learnt that I don't need to be good at something to enjoy it.

My knees are still bruised from my ice skating fall (I was trying to go backwards and I can only just about go forwards) last Sunday and they ache after exertion however, despite ski du fond this morning and skating this afternoon it is infinitely more comfortable to stand than sit on my poor bruised behind. I really enjoy skating and I very much want to do ski du fond again - it was so beautiful, moving amongst snow dusted fir trees with flakes falling gently from the sky. At least I was good at skidooing, small mercies. 

Hopefully I will remain upright somewhat better when I try snow-shoeing tomorrow. I'm also trying ski alpin for the FIRST TIME on THURSDAY. (Get me and my getting out there). I'm supposed to go to Quebec City on Friday. I might be dead. And then I won't get to go skidooing again. Better not die. 

Also. ALSO! Swing is back on Tuesday. Hurrah! And in two weeks I will be at a Swing weekender in the big QC. Awe. Som. U. Lar. Marie-Josée came skating today and we were talking and I'm really hoping she's gonna come to the swing thing. It would be so much more awesome if she did. And Marco. People! I know people!

No comments:

Post a Comment