Monday 1 February 2010

Best laid plans etc

Yes yes yes. I did mean to keep a nice blog here of all my adventures on the North American continent. Unfortunately as soon as something becomes an obligation it loses its fun, hence the dearth of entries.

On the plus side (for me) I have kept something of a record of my doings in a notebook.

Since Christmas (in Chicago with Added Abby And Eric Awesomeness) and 2010-welcoming at Stoneham (the ski resort near Quebec City not the small village in East Sussex) followed by the incredible Cirque du Soleil and particularly fabulous outfit on my part, even if I do say so myself, I've not really done a whole lot.

I bought ice skates! Hockey ones. And I'm getting there, slowly. I've been skating six times since I bought them just over two weeks ago - only need to go three more times until the cost-per-wear is less than skate hire. Hurrah! Maybe by April I will have a new skill. Or maybe I will have so thoroughly destroyed my knees that I will never dance again. Who knows?

Today one of the teachers who works with Eibhlin took us skidooing with another teacher and a head teacher. They really are too generous round here. It was AH-MAY-ZING. They found my need for speed amusing. But I kept it upright and got some good speed up, also got a bit of air at one point... I love the snow.

Talking of snow, we have really great snow right now. On Friday it was a snow day so Eibhlin and I celebrated by playing in the back garden like children.


Rather unfortunately this is not snowman building snow. We attempted snowballs but they didn't work either. However, I believe there is some sort of ice-sculpture competition in town tomorrow. Eibhlin and I spotted some industrious types hard at work on Friday.

A frustrating aspect of Canadian (or is it just Quebec?) life is that they're really behind with the whole mobile/internet thing. Basically phones and internets are on complicated and expensive plans that wring all the money they can out of you then change the rules and bully you for more. Bastards. This means I must spend less time on YouTube watching swing videos and more time reading/knitting/drawing/skating/learning German but no. In reality I have replaced video footage with fashion blogs. And shopping websites. I'm planning my amazing teachering outfits so that I will become my students' favourite. Well, I realise some sort of teaching ability will probably be the main thing here but stunning dresses and fabulous shoes can't hurt...? I feel this dress would go down well - good job it isn't on sale just yet.

Can I come back to England for the shopping please? I know where I can get the stuff I like and I don't have to worry about how much it'll cost to ship across the Atlantic. Don't get me wrong, I'm having a great time and totally not ready to leave but my superficial streak is clawing at me. Probably because the more I buy here the more it'll cost to post home and I'm yet to discover a shop I love here. This has inspired a lot of "if..." shopping - I decided on a look I want, I find the components for it on the internet, I do not buy it. But I would. If I was in England, employed, with cash and a fabulous little Karmann Ghia to set it all off with. This article didn't help although I do wish I could be even bolder with my outfits. Like Katie.

More reading French, less reading fashion blogs/style sections.

Unless they're in French.

No comments:

Post a Comment