Monday 24 October 2011

A is for Abby, B is for Barbeque, C is for Canons

Saturday may just have been my best day in Quebec so far. It had the unlikely start of waking up alone. Completely alone. Denis was on the way back from Montreal and housemate Fred went somewhere Friday afternoon, taking Lucky the dog with him, and hadn't returned. Good job this is Quebec otherwise I might have been afraid of intruders.

The quiet in the flat meant that I slept in until 10a.m. and could eat my breakfast in bed (being careful about crumbs, of course). Then I had an epic skyping session with Abby which I really needed. I'm definitely missing my best friends; apart from Denis, there isn't anyone in this town who really knows me and can make me laugh with inside jokes. I miss having inside jokes, at the moment I'm the person who looks blank while everyone else is falling about - and not just because they're speaking French!

Denis got back earlier than expected and the afternoon continued the relaxed theme of the morning. And then. And then he took me out for a meal (it should be noted that this was the first time we've eaten in a restaurant together, without other friends around, because we wanted to and not because we were on the road and needed some food, you know, like a real date) and to a concert of l'Orchestre symphonique de l'Estuaire with the Royal 22e Régiment

It was really bloody good, much much better than I had anticipated. The first "set" was the orchestra playing such classics as the Radetzky March by Strauss and March no. 1 of the Pomp and Circumstance Marches by Elgar (Denis was teasing me about getting overly patriotic during the latter). After the intermission the 22e played less military-inspired pieces and more jazzy stuff with New York as the theme, for some reason. Which definitely made for a nice contrast and an older chap got the audience singing at the end (I didn't know the words).

But really the finale was the truly impressive part where both bands joined together (logistics of setting up the stage disguised by five brass players in Beatles wigs playing With a Little Help from my Friends) to play Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture. Some very large drums took the place of the canons but half the audience jumped all the same. 

Afterwards we mingled with musicians and I was introduced to the conductor. Naturally he already knew Denis, for everyone does.

Then we headed to a pool hall to catch up with some people I had met before! Not only that but I met them for the first time about 18 months ago and despite not having met them that many times they clearly count as old friends here. I didn't play any pool, I was considering it but then Denis was far too good and I'd rather be thought a poor player than give it a go and remove all doubt. 

We rounded off the night with a trip to La Cantine de a Gare for a spot of poutine. Man it was good. I wasn't even hungry and I ate most of it (I was supposed to be sharing with Denis).



Sunday evening we met up with the same group for a barbeque. As you do. In October. When you don't have a garden (the barbeque was on the balcony). Then we watched Scott Pilgrim vs. The World and I found geeky lindy hop routines to show Denis. Yup, we're all super cool people.

Today I have finally got myself a local phone number and a phone that works, if only so I can apply for jobs - online application forms refuse to accept that someone doesn't have a phone number; "you must spend money in order to possibly be considered for the honour of earning money," is what they seem to say.

And now I'm watching the Montreal Canadiens not winning, although for the moment they're also not losing which is a vast improvement on recent form. According to a quick google search this is the worst start to the season since 1938, 1941 or 1995. Apparently there are different ways to define the crappiness of their form.

In other news, soft cheese with vanilla-ness is not only not rank but really rather yummy but I reserve the right to dismiss cheese with jam or cheese with nutella without trying it.

To look forward to this week: social dance Wednesday night (yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay) and Swing Station on Thursday. J'ai vraiment trop hâte.

No comments:

Post a Comment