Wednesday 12 October 2011

Baseball cap storage facilities

So. All arrived, safe and sound after about 24 hours of travel. Still recovering from that/a touch of the old jetlag.

Monday was a bank holiday as Sunday was Thanksgiving in Canada. It was definitely what I needed, to get out and see people - it made me forget I was tired and it made me feel popular in a town where I know fewer than ten people. Denis' friends are very welcoming and lovely but I do want to find my own friends. Something that could be challenging because, as far as I can tell, Denis knows everyone in Quebec and most people in Ontario and New Brunswick.

Yesterday I finally met Fred and Lucky - our housemate and his dog. I met Lucky first and was beginning to suspect that Fred was some kind of benevolent ghost that brings people dogs but he is in fact a French guy who is doing a Masters in something about turbines and enjoys the Big Bang Theory. And on the basis of the music he has on at the moment I think we'll get along just fine.

I also unpacked as much stuff as would fit in the limited storage facilities (more to be sorted at the weekend, along with wood bundling and helping someone move house) - I don't think I've shared a wardrobe since my sister and I slept in the same room. Without meaning to be overly soppy, it is pretty nice to see the clothes hanging up (/out) together.

Had a little solo explore of the local facilities and managed to become completely baffled by two different mobile phone sales people. I don't know what I'm going to do about my phone. I could get something awesome/pretty if I was on a three-year contract but I just don't know if I'm going to be here that long. If all goes to plan I will be but what's to say that in a year I won't decide to run off somewhere else? I'm basing this on past form rather than intentions. Mind you, do I really want to stay in a town where shops, next to hanging pocket shoe storage thingys, sell hanging pocket storage things for up to 20 baseball caps?? Welcome to North America.

Today Denis has set me the task of writing an up to date CV in French. I'm currently avoiding this. I don't know what job I'm aiming for and therefore what the focus should be. I also don't know what the conventions are here. I barely know the conventions at home - all but my very first job I managed to get without needing a CV. I definitely need to find a job as I am currently some non-person that knows almost no one, has no money and very little to be getting on with. I promise I'll have a good go at it this afternoon, really.

Haven't had any poutine yet but the cravings are creeping up on me. Especially as I missed out at Easter. Mmmmmmmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment